Was awarded a black belt. Got roasted. Won a major award.
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Didn't really make any, though I had some plans for this year that didn't happen, some minor, some major (like the whole getting-married thing....).
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nobody very close, though several people I liked and admired, sadly.
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada for Fan Expo in August.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Oh, a lot of things, but the one I particularly want to mention in public is the same one I've had for a depressingly large number of years without success: sell something I keep the copyright on.
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I can't narrow it down to one: 18 April when I turned 40. 30 April when terri_osborne and I split up. 24 May for happy personal reasons. 10 July, when I got roasted. 24 July, when I became a grandmaster. 25 October, when I received my black belt.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Achieving my black belt after five years of hard work.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Too many to list. I've had way too many failures this year...
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Strep throat in May.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The registration for the black-belt promotion.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Aoki, the bestest cat in the whole entire world, who helped both myself and terri_osborne through our breakup.
13. Whose behavior, what situations appalled and depressed you?
As ever, the Republican Party, who have acted like spoiled children during the first year of the Obama administration.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food and shelter, mostly.
15. What events did you get really, really, really excited about?
President Obama's inauguration. Shore Leave. The San Diego Comic-Con. The black belt promotion.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
The Farscape theme song. *grin*
17. Compared to this time last year, you are . . .
More self-aware of my failings, but also in a much happier emotional place.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Searching for paid writing.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With family, as always.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Leverage, with Castle a close runner-up.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
George Sprott (1894-1975) by Seth, with Flesh and Fire by Laura Anne Gilman a close runner-up.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery or rediscovery?
26. What did you want and get?
My black belt.
27. What did you want and not get?
More book contracts and more comic book work.
28. What were your favorite films of this year?
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Sherlock Holmes, Up, (500) Days of Summer.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I spent my 40th birthday at the Bronx Zoo with friends and family, then had dinner at a favorite Italian restaurant. It was fantastic.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I can't begin to list all the things that fit this bill.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Pretty much the same concept I've had since roughly 1986.... *laughs* Comfort über alles.
32. What kept you sane?
Evidence to date suggests that nothing is capable of such a task.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
Probably the constant mishegoss over gay marriage, which shouldn't even be an issue. The rampant hypocrisy on the issue is matched only by the repetition of the rhetoric -- it's the exact same language used to justify preventing interracial marriage decades ago. It was horseshit then, and it's horseshit now.
34. Whom did you miss?
It's been five years, but I still miss Mittens, the big ol' galoot.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
That's a tie between two people, and that's all I'm saying. *big grin*
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Nothing lasts forever.