THE HOLLYWOOD CRICKET CLUB
The Hollywood Cricket Club was the brainchild of Charles "Round the Corner" Aubrey Smith (1863-1948)--a right-handed fast bowler who captained England on teh 1888-89 tour of South Africa and was knighted for services to Anglo-American cordiality in 1944. (His nickname derived from a highly idiosyncratic bowling approach, described by W.G. Grace as "startling.") Smith was also a Hollywood actor who starred in over 100 pictures, including Rebecca (1940) and Little Women (1949)--though he tended to be typecast as the archetypal Englishman and even managed to portray the Duke of Wellington in three different films. In 1932, when Smith was living near Mulholland Drive, he persuaded the Los Angeles Park Commission mto donate land on which to build a cricket pitch. Grass seed was imported from Enlgand, a pavilion was constructed, and the Aubrey Smithy Cricket Field quickly became a mecca for American and ex-pat cricketers. An impressive roll call of players gained membership in the club, including Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Cary Grant, David Niven, Basil Rathbone, H.B. Warner, P.G. wodehouse, Ronald Coleman, and Nigel Bruce--though Smith was not shy in pressuring players to attend. Laurence Olivier was once summoned by note to attend a practice and turned up at nets wearing boots he had borrowed from Boris Karloff.
August Strindberg (1849-1912)