1. What did you do in 2016 that you'd never done before? Live in this neighborhood. *wry grin*
2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Never make 'em.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No, though one friend's son's birth is imminent.
4. Did anyone close to you die? My grandmother, who died in April.
5. What countries did you visit? Didn't leave the U.S. this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016? More order and less chaos.
7. What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? A tie between 18 April, which was both my 47th birthday and my grandmother's funeral, and 8 November, on which our country managed to elect someone who hasn't even been sworn in yet and is already in the running for worst president ever.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Successfully going from zero to moved in six weeks.
9. What was your biggest failure? Not being able to get the thriller, A Furnace Sealed, or Mermaid Precinct finished as intended.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? My knees have gotten worse, a combination of age and the physical strain of moving. There may be knee surgery in my 2017.....
11. What was the best thing you bought? The desk my desktop computer is currently on in the office in the new place.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Wrenn's cousin Matt, without whom we would not have managed to accomplish #8 on this list. Also the kids in my afterschool karate classes, who have been doing superbly; this is the best group of kids I've had in the three years I've been doing the program.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Every single person who voted for the eventual winner of the presidential election. I hope we all live to regret your decision, but I'm quite sure that we won't all.
14. Where did most of your money go? Food, shelter, and the move.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The possibility of the first woman to be president of the United States, which will teach me to get excited.....
16. What song will always remind you of 2016? "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by REM.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Despite everything, happier, as Wrenn's career is on the upswing, mine is doing very well, and we live in a wonderful new place.
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner, but I weigh more (yay muscle weighing more than fat!)
iii. richer or poorer? About the same -- dancing on the edge between okay and poor....
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Write A Furnace Sealed and Mermaid Precinct.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Be distracted by the presidential election, which combined with the move to put me behind on everything.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? With my immediate family, as always.
21. How will you be spending New Year's? Eve with many of our closest friends, Day with immediate family to eat goose.
22. Did you fall in love in 2016? Stayed in love, I think is more appropriate....
23. How many one-night stands? None.
24. What was your favorite TV program(s)? In no particular order, Major Crimes, Doctor Who, Supergirl, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Luke Cage, Elementary, Arrow, Life in Pieces, The Big Bang Theory, probably others I'm forgetting....
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? I didn't used to actually hate the president-elect, I just thought he was a buffoon. Now, though......
26. What was the best book you read? Even though I was in them, I'm going to say the anthologies V-Wars: Night Terrors, Limbus Inc. Book 3, and Altered States of the Union, which were all superlative.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Rhiannon Giddens.
28. What did you want and get? Steady writing work.
29. What did you want and not get? See #9 & 18.
30. What was your favorite film of this year? Captain America: Civil War.
31. What did you do on your birthday? Attend my grandmother's funeral.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A different result in the presidential election.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016? The same as it's been my entire adult life: t-shirts/sweatshirts and jeans and sneakers.
34. What kept you sane? I don't understand the question.................
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I'm gonna go with Rhiannon Giddens.
36. What political issue stirred you the most? The presidential election, obviously.
37. Who did you miss? Scooter. Still.
38. Who was the best new person you met? I always meet nifty new people, but I think I'm going to give the prize to Sas and Mara.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016: Progress doesn't move in a straight line.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: "It's another Monday night and everything is goin' wrong / I think I see my whole week ahead." From "Monday Night Blues" by the Don't Quit Your Day Job Players, lyrics by Steve Rosenhaus.